What happens when you prepare your entire life for something and, unexpectedly, your dream is crushed by an irreversible injury? That’s what happened to award-winning entrepreneur, author and speaker Jennifer Brown.
As a young girl, Jennifer dreamed of becoming a professional opera singer. In her 20s, she moved to New York City to pursue a Master’s in Voice from the Manhattan School of Music. She was on the road to stardom when her dream was suddenly interrupted by vocal cord injury. After several surgeries, it became clear Jennifer would never sing again professionally.
“The writing was on the wall and I knew I had to reinvent (myself),” she said.
In today’s episode, Jennifer talks about her journey from singing and performing to becoming among the world’s leading experts on diversity and inclusion. As an openly gay professional, Jennifer consults with Fortune 500 companies on how to build more inclusive workplaces which allow all kinds of talent to feel welcomed, valued, respected, and heard.
IN THIS EPISODE WE DISCUSS…
- The stigma surrounding vocal cord damage and why performers try to hide it.
- How to reinvent yourself when you’re faced with an unexpected detour.
- Why Jennifer chose to “come out” and be open about her sexuality.
- The need for diversity and inclusion in all organizations, even at companies that appear to be doing progressive work.
- And much, much more…
“As hard as it is, reinventing ourselves is something we all have to be good at because the world is changing so fast.” – Jennifer Brown
“The good news is: nothing is wasted. Every position you have prepares you for the next stage in your journey.” – Jennifer Brown
- Jennifer Brown website ; consulting services
- How To Be An Inclusive Leader: Your Role in Creating Cultures of Belonging Where Everyone Can Thrive
- The Business Case For Diversity by the World Economic Forum.
- Uncovering Talent by Deloitte
- Catskilll Animal Sanctuary
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard For White People To Talk About Racism by Robin D’Angelo
SUBSCRIBE, RATE, & REVIEW
If you enjoyed today’s episode of HowieDoinIt, hit the subscribe button in Apple Podcasts, (or whatever podcast app you use) so future episodes are automatically downloaded directly to your device.
You can also help by providing an honest rating & review over on Apple Podcasts. Reviews go a long way in helping us build awareness so that we can impact even more people. THANK YOU!
If you think our message can inspire someone you know to make a change, please share the podcast with your friends.
And if you want Howie to answer your questions in an upcoming episode, drop him a line at email@example.com
CONNECT WITH HOWIE
To learn more and get access to all episodes, visit our podcast page!